TE’s Pick 'n' Mix Client Edition
Formal documentation is generally easy to find in the Knowledge Center, but trying to keep up with the latest information can be time-consuming. “TE's Pick 'n' Mix Client edition” can help.
The integrated nature of IBM i has many advantages—but knowing what you need to know can be a challenge because there is so much to know! To complicate things further, there’s hardware, virtualization technologies, storage technologies and everything else that is required for a modern computing environment.
Formal documentation is generally easy to find in the Knowledge Center, but there are a large number of online articles, and trying to keep up with the latest information can be time-consuming.
There’s one resource that can help make this easier for you: a newsletter called “TE's Pick 'n' Mix Client edition.”
TE is for Therese Eaton, an IBMer in the U.K. Therese pulls together all sorts of information into a compilation of links which she then emails to those who subscribe.
If you find the newsletter worthwhile, subscribe to it directly. If this blog is how you found out about this newsletter, you may want to let Therese know in your request to subscribe. Happy reading.
The content below is directly from Therese’s March newsletter.
I know how busy you are. That's why I have done all the searching and developed the list of links to make it easier for you to keep up to date.
Here's the compulsory newsletter fine print that I have to include each time: The information in this newsletter is my selection of "stuff" and doesn't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies, opinions or endorsement. The info is provided as-is. Please email me, [email protected], to subscribe or unsubscribe. Follow me on Twitter: @tetweetings
Top 5 stuff
- IBM I: The Most Amazing IBM Product You’ve Never Heard Of "IBM I is the closest thing to a software platform superhero I’ve yet seen and likely the safest and most powerful server platform you’ve never heard of."
"After the briefing on IBM I, I was thinking that if you could wrap this platform in Spandex, you could put it in the next Avengers movie as a real live superhero",
"What makes IBM I so amazing is that it is very similar in concept to hyper-converged hardware but in software."
- Join our 48-hour POWER tour, starting in Las Vegas. No packing or passport required - enjoy! 48 Hours in POWER - Travel Guide to IT Transformation
- Last year Mono was ported to AIX and IBM i. Mono offers the capability to run the open source .NET runtime on Power Systems. Building Out The .NET Stack Around Mono for IBM i
- What trends and attitudes shape the IBM i modernisation? Check out the 2019 State of IBM i Modernization report, download from here
- Launchpad to POWER9 a collection of useful information, videos, pod casts etc to guide you upgrading your infrastructure to the cognitive era.
Keep on scrolling ...
POWER news stuff
- The Competitive Edge of POWER9 for Cloud and AI
- IBM Infrastructure Plays a Critical Role in Cloud, AI and Security
- IBM Puffs Up Power Iron On Its Public Cloud
- Compounded Technical Debt can Cause Significant Business Disruption
- Supporting Clients’ Journey to POWER9
- Infrastructure Matters
- Reap the Performance Benefits of Upgrading from POWER7 to POWER9
- Josh Hall Discusses Open Source on IBM i
- Top IBM Power Systems myths: x86 is the industry standard and Power is becoming obsolete
- Meet The 2019 Champions For IBM i
- Sign up to new IBM i podcast series "IBM Bi-weekly" from IBM Champions Josh Hall and Liam Allan.
- Michael Karasienski, IBM Champion
- Alan Fulton, 2018 IBM Champion for Power Systems
- Tweaking Systems And Withdrawal Symptoms
- Five Acquisitions You May Have Missed
- IBM i DevOps Gets Simpler On Skytap Cloud
- Big Blue Finally Brings IBM i To Its Own Public Cloud
- IBM Watson Now Available Anywhere
- Taking A Fresche Approach To IBM i-Watson Education
- IBM i Has Been Getting With The Program For Years.
- H2O.ai Advances Leading Data Science and Machine Learning Platforms.
- IBM and McCormick blend new seasonings with AI
- Video: What's New For PowerAI in 2019?
- Video: Hardware for AI
- Video: Danish Defence Gains Military Precision with IBM Power Systems and IBM Storage
- IBM i and IBM Power Systems for Healthcare, IBM Power Systems and IBM i for Industrial and Manufacturing clients, IBM i and Power Systems for Insurance, IBM Power Systems and IBM i for Distribution,
- IBM i and IBM Power Systems for Banking and IBM Power Systems and IBM i for Financial Services
- Oxford Cancer Biomarkers (OCB) - Combining leading-edge diagnostics with AI technology to improve outcomes for cancer patients
- Wijnen Van Maele - Prepares for e-commerce driven future with IBM i on IBM Power Systems in the cloud
- DeepZen - Racing to market with the first AI solutions for convincing emotive speech
- Nitori - Powering up to enhance service excellence as the business grows
- Steffimmo - Creates stable platform for long-term growth with IBM i on IBM Power Systems in the cloud
- FIBROCIT - Bringing comfort to audiences across Europe
- Inovia AIAccelerates development of cutting-edge AI applications by a factor of 10
- Bidfood Netherlands Modernizes While Embracing the Past
- Paul Zikopoulos, VP Big Data Analytics for IBM > Paul Zikopoulos, IBM | IBM Think 2019
- Jamie Thomas, GM, IBM Systems Strategy & Development,> Jamie Thomas, IBM | IBM Think 2019
- Eric Herzog, CMO and VP of Worldwide Storage Channels > Eric Herzog, IBM | IBM Think 2019
- Jason McGee, IBM Fellow, VP and CTO, Cloud Platform > Jason McGee, IBM | IBM Think 2019
IBM Europe Announcement Letters
- IBM Power Systems enhances I/O and processor support
- Statement of direction: IBM Power Enterprise Pools 2.0 extends ability to pool processor resources and memory resources to IBM POWER9 technology-based servers
- IBM Power Systems offers memory enhancements and processor upgrade for IBM Power System E980 server
- IBM Power HPC Stack V1.2 delivers robust high-performance computing software on IBM Power Accelerated Computing Platform solution
- IBM PowerAI V1.6 helps you get started faster with a software distribution for machine learning running on an enterprise platform for AI
- IBM Domino and Notes 10.0.1 support for Group 1 languages and IBM i support for IBM Domino 10.0.1 and IBM Traveler 10.0.1.1 are now available
- IBM MQ V9.1.2 for Multiplatforms delivers Continuous Delivery enhancements that extend and build out new messaging features that were included in MQ V9.1.1 Continuous Delivery release
- IBM UrbanCode Deploy V7.0.2 adds efficient Safe Edit feature to increase speed of testing and acceptance of application deployment processes
- Statement of direction: IBM WebSphere Application Server enhancements to simplify modernization
- Hardware withdrawal: IBM Power Systems selected models and features
- Services withdrawal: IBM 9910 Uninterruptible Power Supply models, features, and part numbers
Keep on scrolling ...
POWER techie stuff
- Updated > IBM Power Systems Performance Report
- Updated > IBM Power Systems Facts and Features
- Domino 10.0.1 for IBM i: Software requirements
- Collaboration Software for IBM i operating system Compatibility Guide
- IBM i Dashboard
- When usage is not usage – Inactive user profiles & devices
- Apply Best Practices to Satisfy Regulatory Standards
- IBM i Job Accounting and Prestart Server Jobs
- QSQSRVR Job Considerations
- Client Special Registers are Special
- The Mysterious QP0ZSPWP Jobs
- Guru: Find The Needle In The Haystack With Watches
- IBM POWER9 in-memory collection counters
- Data Backup Options Balance Risk and Cost
- Automated Systems Compliance Assessment With PowerView
- Transform Your LPM Experience with Automation Tool
- How to register pluggable storage devices to PowerVC
- Registering Fibre Channel tape drives (PowerVC)
- How to set the storage template when managing existing volumes (PowerVC)
- Customizing volume names in PowerVC (PowerVC)
- Announcing VMware vRealize Operations integration with PowerVC and HMC to monitor IBM Power Systems workloads (PowerVC)
- HMC Management Enhancements in HMC V9 R1 M92x
- Managing Power systems adapter firmware/microcode using Microcode Discovery Services and Inventory Scout.
- Configuring automated disaster recovery for IBM Geographically Dispersed Resiliency for Power Systems (GDR)
- Time to Look at System Maintenance and Replacing Equipment
- Practical Linux: Building Your Linux VM
- Lessons Learned Building the World’s Top Supercomputers
- 2019 Stanford HPC Conference, Rob Neely, from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory presents: Video: Sierra Supercomputer: Science Unleashed
IBM i Global support centre videos:
- How To Create an Integrated Web Services (IWS) Server on IBM i OS
- How To Change Your IAS v8.5 or IWS v2.6 Server Ports on IBM i OS
- How To Change the Java Version for an IAS v8.5 or IWS v2.6 instance on the IBM i OS
Check out these groups and their events pages >>
- Welcome to the ETS Switzerland AIX User Group!
- Georgia IBM Power Systems User Group
- Cognitive Systems Virtual User Group
- Mirror game app showcases 15 cloud technologies and components
- Video: Use IBM Cloud Private & Cloud Automation Manager to deploy Oracle on AIX to Enterprise Power Systems
- Video: Hybrid Cloud Architecture Part 1: Connectivity
- Video: Hybrid Cloud Architecture Part 2: Modernize
- Video: Hybrid Cloud Architecture Part 3: Security
- Video: Kubernetes Explained
- The best visual explanation on how Kubernetes works? I think so, see Flying Kubernetes
- In cybersecurity, it’s AI vs. AI: Will the good guys or the bad guys win?
- IBM i Global support centre videos: Configuring IBM i System SSL/TLS Protocols & Cipher suites
- Practical DB2: DB2 Services for OUTQ Management
- IBM i Security Fallacies Exposed
- What Do You Do When Priorities Change? Why Should You Continue to Pay Attention to IBM i Security?
- Thank you for clicking that link!
- OpenSSL 1.1.1 has landed in Node.js: Why it's important for Node.js LTS releases
Keep on scrolling ...
Data & analytics stuff
- The Case for a Database Engineer
- Spot Trends and Focus Resources With Data Visualization
- Analyzing Joblogs with IBM’s Db2 for i Services
- Sue Romano Discusses SQL Development
- Data Versus Metadata for AIX
- SAP on IBM i: Improved Performance for Java Connection Pooling
- Video: WEBINAR! Introduzione a IBM DB2 Web Query for i (in Italian)
- IBM PowerAI Vision Lowers Technical Barriers to Create AI Solutions
- Video: How Does SNAP ML Accelerate ML/DL?
- Five high notes from Think 2019
- The AI database is upon us
- What is IBM PASE and how does it relate to open source solutions?
- Send and receive user-defined SOAP and REST messages from RPG
- Midnight Commander Normalizes IBM i App Dev
- Node-RED embodies IBM's approach to open source
- one developer's reasons to use Node-RED.
- IBM i RPM Packaging Lab
- Why RPG Developers are Adopting RDi
- Guru: Manage Filters in RDi
- Guru: Why And How Not to Use The Aretha Franklin I/O Method
- RPG Academy - Modernization: Guidelines for Modernization Goals, Part 1
- RPG Academy – Modernization: Setting Your Modernization Goals
- Introduction to Runtime Arrays in ILE RPG
- Guru: Change XML Elements in SQL
- Guru: Open Access To The Rescue
- Check out Hey Alison - IBM i video from IBM Champion Niles Liisberg
- TechTip: The Find Object (FND) Command for the Integrated File System
- Challenges and benefits of the microservice architectural style, Part 2
- Challenges and benefits of the microservice architectural style, Part 1
- Controlling AIX kernel extensions through user application
- Installing and configuring Python machine learning packages on IBM AIX
- Video: Using a Git Command Line in RDi
IBM Redbooks News
- AI and Big Data on IBM Power Systems Servers
- IBM High-Performance Computing (HPC) Insights with IBM AC922 Clustered Solution
- IBM Redbooks highlighting POWER9 processor-based technology
- IBM PowerHA SystemMirror V7.2.1 for IBM AIX Updates
Upcoming POWER events, education or training stuff
Search and find IBM's latest training sessions on offer: IBM's Training and Skills courses
On Demand: Launchpad to POWER9 Webinar Series!
NEW >> 19 Mar 2019 IBM i Security Tour by Helpsystems, IBM, Jackson House, Manchester, UK
NEW >> 21 Mar OpenPOWER and AI Workshop, University of Lund, Lund, Sweden
NEW >> 26-28 Mar IBM i Performance Analysis workshop with IBM's Stacy Benfield and Morten Rasmussen, Paris, France
26-28 Mar RPG & DB2 Summit in Charlotte, NC, USA
NEW >> TBD Apr IBM Systems Technical University, Florianopolis, Brazil (all sessions in Portuguese)
NEW >> TBD Apr IBM India Spectrum Storage User Group, IBM Mumbai, India. Contact: Swapnil Joshi ([email protected])
NEW >> 02 Apr IBM i Security Best Practices by COMMON Europe and Syncsort
NEW >> 04 Apr Think Summit Dublin, Aviva Stadium , Dublin, Ireland
NEW >> 04 Apr Configuring ACS (Access Client Solutions) to Use SSL (TLS) by Helpsystems
NEW >> 10 Apr Spectrum Storage User Group: IBM Hursley User Group - Customers, IBM Hursley, UK
NEW >> 11 Apr Spectrum Storage User Group: IBM Customer Design Thinking Product Research Day, IBM Hursley, UK
NEW >> 11 AprGo Dashboarding With Db2 Web Query
NEW >> 15-18 Apr IBM Systems Technical University Dubai, UAE Video: Welcome to IBM Systems TechU in Dubai 15-18 April
NEW >> 24-26 Apr IBM Systems Technical University, Casablanca, Morocco (all sessions in French) Video: Welcome to IBM Systems TechU in Casablanca 24-26
29 Apr - 03 May IBM Systems Technical University Atlanta 2019 , USA
19-22 May POWERUp by COMMON, Disneyland® Resort, Anaheim, CA, USA
NEW >> 21 May Spectrum Storage User Group, IBM, Copenhagen, Denmark Contact Jens Nüchel Petersen [email protected]
NEW >> 22-23 May Spectrum Storage User Group, IBM Kista Plus, Sweden Contact Roger Eriksson [email protected]
02-07 Jun IBM i Large User Group (The LUG), IBM Rochester, MN, USA
04-06 Jun IBM i Security with Thomas Barlen, IBM Southbank, London, UK . Please email Malcolm Sanderson, [email protected], if you are interested in attending.
11-12 Jun 2019 International i-Power Conference, The DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, Milton Keynes, UK
16-19 Jun Common Europe Congress (CEC) 2019, Radisson Blu Hotel, Berlin, Germany
NEW >> 26 Jun Spectrum Storage User Group: IBM Manchester User Group - Customers, IBM Manchester, UK
NEW >> TBD July IBM Systems Technical University, Melbourne, Australia
NEW >> TBD Aug IBM Systems Technical University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
NEW >> 11-13 Sept IBM Systems Technical University, Johannesburg, S.A.
15-20 Sept IBM i Large User Group (The LUG), IBM Rochester, MN, USA
NEW >> TBD Oct IBM Systems Technical University, Colombia
NEW >> 07-11 Oct IBM Systems Technical University, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
NEW >> 21-25 Oct IBM Systems Technical University, Prague, Czech Republic
NEW >> TBD Nov IBM Systems Technical University, Bali, Indonesia
NEW >> TBD Nov IBM Systems Technical University, Bangkok, Thailand
NEW >> 13 Nov Spectrum Storage User Group: IBM Hursley User Group - Customer day , IBM Hursley, UK
02 Mar Common Europe Webinars: Securely Deploying IBM’s Access Client Solutions ACS
28 Feb AIX VUG - USA: nmon & njmon with Nigel Griffiths
06 Feb POWER VUG: 83 The Wide World of Open Source with IBM i
31 Jan AIX VUG - USA: Enterprise Cloud Bundle and AIX Enterprise Edition with Petra Buehrer
23 Jan POWER VUG: Session 82: njmon =nmon+JSON+real-time+graphs
17 Jan AIX VUG - USA: IBM Cloud Private with Joe Cropper
- How do you get people – including yourself – to do what you want?! Rebel, Upholder, Questioner, Obliger: which one are you?
- How 5G can spark an electronics revolution
- Scratching the surface of Quantum
- IBM Blockchain Is a Critical Link in the Trust Chain
- IBM Named One of the 2019 World's Most Ethical Companies
Be a Lurker > IBM i latest tweet feed and POWER9 latest tweet feed
Free technical enablement, sign up to > POWER Systems Technical webinar series (POWER VUG)
IBM POWER systems home page > IBM POWER systems
Influence the future of IBM Products, raise a > Request For Enhancement (RFE)
IBM i home page > IBM i - built for business
Learn, develop, and connect all in one place > IBM i technical resources roadmap
What is your competitors doing? > IBM i Customer Stories
Gain business advantage through research-based insights > IBM Institute for Business Value.
Home of product documentation > IBM Knowledge Centre
Replicate to higher availability > IBM PowerHA SystemMirror for i wiki
Adopt good security practices > IBM i Security Services wiki
Remain secure and compliant > PowerSC Tools for IBM i and PowerSC for AIX & Linux
IBM Developer for > IBM POWER Systems and IBM i and AIX
Book a demo > IBM Client Demonstrations
Find your SW keys or UAK, upgrade & download SW and mange your Elastic capacity > Entitled Systems Support
Find an > IBM Business Partner
The Best, Therese
IBM i / Article / Community / Storage / Virtualization / i Can blog
About the author
Dawn May is an IBM i consultant. She owns Dawn May Consulting, LLC in the Greater Boston area. Dawn is a former IBM senior technical staff member.
See more by Dawn May