IBM Announces IBM z/OS V2.5
Today, IBM announced IBM z/OS V2.5, the next-generation OS for IBM Z, designed to accelerate client adoption of hybrid cloud and AI and drive application modernization projects
With this in mind, IBM has announced z/OS V2.5—which will help drive value for IBM clients by delivering new capabilities across AI enablement, application modernization, resiliency, enhanced security and an improved developer experience.
In addition to this increased focus on application modernization, AI is on the rise as well. According to the "Global AI Adoption Index 2021," conducted by Morning Consult commissioned by IBM, 87% of global IT professionals surveyed report it is very or somewhat important to their company that they can build and run their AI projects wherever the data resides. With z/OS V2.5, IBM is introducing new high performance AI capabilities that are tightly integrated with z/OS workloads, designed to give clients business insights for more informed decision making.
"IBM is all-in on hybrid cloud and AI, and we are deeply focused on delivering new innovations like AI and new security capabilities on IBM Z to help our clients move forward, more quickly with their modernization journeys," said Ross Mauri, GM, IBM Z. "For our clients, IBM z/OS V2.5 brings new security and resiliency capabilities to the platform, and enables clients to infuse AI in real-time into every business transaction—imperatives that became more urgent during the pandemic."
New z/OS V2.5 features include:
- Expanding pervasive encryption to new types of data sets: sequential basic format and large format SMS-managed data sets are now included, providing users with the capability to encrypt data without application changes and to simplify compliance
- Anomaly mitigation capabilities that leverage Predictive Failure Analysis (PFA), Runtime Diagnostics, Workload Manager (WLM), and JES2 to help further detect anomalous behavior in near real-time, letting clients proactively address potential problems
- New Java/COBOL interoperability that extends existing application programming models with support for parallel 31-bit and 64-bit addressing, simplifying enterprise application modernization.
- Enhanced performance and ease of use for z/OS Container Extensions (zCX) to integrate Linux applications and utilities into z/OS.
- Additional capabilities to integrate cloud storage through transparent cloud tiering (TCT) and the Object Access Method (OAM) cloud tier support to help reduce capital and operating expenses with data transfer to hybrid cloud storage environments for simplified data archiving and data protection on IBM Z.
z/OS / Linux on IBM Z / z/VM / z/VSE / Article / Cloud / Security / Systems management / Application development / Modernization / Cloud strategy / COBOL / Data security / Application modernization / OS updates / Artificial intelligence
TechChannel is an independent communications channel designed to educate and inform enterprise and SMB IT professionals.
See more by TechChannel