IBM i System Supplied Prestart Job Entries
Prestart job entries that ship with the system in the QSYSWRK, QUSRWRK and QSERVER subsystems.
In my last blog I gave an introduction to, and some history about, prestart jobs. This week, I’ll review the prestart job entries that ship with the system in the QSYSWRK, QUSRWRK and QSERVER subsystems. For each of the prestart job entries, I have provided a link where you can find documentation related to that PJE.
As I wrote last week, prestart jobs were initially used for SNA communications. You can still find the prestart job entries for SNA communications on your system in the QBASE or QCMN subsystem descriptions. I’m not going to cover these; if you are really interested in these older prestart jobs, you can find them documented in the IBM i 7.3 Knowledge Center here.
Many of the prestart jobs frequently used today are for the Host Servers. Additional information about the host servers can be found in STRHOSTSVR command documentation. The Server Table in the Knowledge Center in another helpful page for documentation on the may server jobs used in IBM i.
It was surprisingly difficult to find appropriate links to more information about some of these prestart job entries!
- QANEAGNT - Backup Agent for Save to / Restore from Application APIs
- QIWVPPJT - Host Servers, Virtual Print Server; allows you to print data from your PC to printers connected to the IBM i
- QSQSRVR - SQL Server Mode Jobs
- QSRRATBL - Restore Authority
- QSRSYNCM - Manages the synchronization tasks for save while active. This was introduced in 6.1 and the 6.1 Technical Overview Redbook has a little more information.
- QTMMSRVR - SMTP POP3 Services. (This won the prize for minimal documentation. All I could find was an IBM support document that identified it as a job that provides SMPT POP3 services.)
- QTMSCLCP - SMTP Client
- QTMSSRCP - SMTP Server
- Q5BWHSRV - Debug Server
- QCTXDMON - Transform Services
- QNPSERVS - Host Servers, Network Print Server
- QRWTSRVR - DDM/DRDA Server
- QSCWCHPS - Watch Processing
- QZDASOINIT - Host Servers, Database Server
- QZDASSINIT - Host Servers, Secure Database Server
- QZHQSSRV - Host Servers, Data Queue Server
- QZRCSRVS - Host Servers, Remote Command Server
- QZSCSRVS - Host Servers, Central Server
- QZSOSIGN - Host Servers, Sign-on Server
- QPWFSERVSO - Host Servers, File Server
- QPWFSERVSS - Host Servers, Secure File Server
- QPWFSERVS2 - Host Servers, File Server
- QPWFSTP0 - Shared Folders Type 2
- QPWFSTP1 - Client Access File Server
- QPWFSTP2 - Windows Client Access File Server
- QTFPJTCP - Host Servers, TCP/IP Data Transfer
- QZDAINIT - PWS-I Data Access Server
- QZLSFILE - NetServer non-threaded connection requests
- QZLSFILET - NetServer threaded connection requests
About the author
Dawn May is an IBM i consultant. She owns Dawn May Consulting, LLC in the Greater Boston area. Dawn is a former IBM senior technical staff member.
See more by Dawn May